Tuesday, 8 December 2015

Tour of City of Puerto Plata

Our tour called for a pickup at our Condo at 9 AM but they were there at 8:45 AM ( MX can take a lesson from the Dominica )  and we were the only customers today. I previous told you there were very few tourist so this is living proof . The guide spoke good English albeit sometimes too fast for me but Carroll seems to pick it up.
 I told him the first stop had to be the Popularie Bank or he would not get paid so that was clearly understood. After the Bank we were headed toward the " Rich Peoples Homes " so we could see how the wealthy live and it was high on a hill so we could view the hold city from high up. A Panorama view, if you will. The Mansions we seen where owned by Lawyers, Doctors, a Senator and one owned by a retired BlueJay's pitcher but the name escapes me.

Before going up passed the Upper class homes I spotted a distinguished building that I thought might be a City Hall or Gov't building of some kind  so I inquired. The guide said it was one of two " Free " hotels in the city. Not being to fast on the uptake I said why Free. He says it's the Men's prison and you don't pay to get in. They also have a women's prison.

We also visited a Fort that was built by the Spaniards to protect the Island from the likes of the British, French, Dutch and others, a Park, Two Power Plants and a deep water port where the merchant ships dock.   They also have separate dock for the Cruise Ships and they have  as many as 11 Cruise ships a week.
The Power plants are run on Diesel and of course it has to be imported. Apparently power is expensive.
Our second last stop run right thru a Jewelry store; of course I knew that was coming and I'm sure the Tour Guide gets a cut if you buy. Carroll made sure he got a cut as she picked up 4 pieces which included a Ring, Bracelet , Ear rings and a Necklace. However, we got it for 1/2 price because there were no ships in today and " Fifi "  had to make sale. Lucky Me!!!!

Our last trip was to take a cable car up the mountain to get a view of most of the Island. It was part and parcel of the Tour otherwise I would not have paid extra, although it was nice to see the Island from the top.

We insisted that part of the trip was to include a  stop at the grocery store so we would not have to endure another cab fare to get groceries and they obliged us.

All vehicles on the Island are imported from the USA and mostly from Miami .  There a very few stop light and absolutely devoid of Stop signs and Yield signs but  the vehicle drivers are courtesy and seem to   merge in and out of traffic seamlessly. However, the Motorcycle drivers are completely nuts and they cut in and out like it is an obstacle course.
Helmets are the law but nobody wears them except today was " Police Check Stop  Day " for helmet and anyone without a helmet was pulled over.

The tour was suppose to be  3 hours but I guess the Tour guides cut at the Jewelry store hefty because we were extended to 4 hours. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment