Today was an uneventful day even thought we did spend a few hours at the beach which our normal routine but I want to give you my impressions of Puerto Plata. This includes the people and the things I see that remind me of MX but not to the same extent. Anything bad is not as bad as MX; and most things good are not as good or not much better, hence the reason "Mexico Light" comes to mind.
Beggars: We have toured the city once and drove thru and around it 4 times and I have yet to see a beggar or anyone wanting a handout. Even when we went to the market people just let us pick out the product and then they would come to us to weight them.
Hawkers: Yes they have their "Hawkers " walking the beach peddling their wares but the only ask you once and to them No Thanks is No. Also, all the Hawkers are wearing a blue shirt with a number so I assume they are all control by the government and they are definitely not a bother. In MX they pester the shit out of you. Not one of the Hawkers has used the phase " WalMart Prices " which the do in MX. However, and you may have guessed this was coming......Carroll convinced me and the Hawker selling shirts; that my life was not complete without this god offal shirt. So I grab a cotton shirt , Jewed him do to 10 USD and took the GD thing. I'm pretty sure I bought same shirt at the Post in Med Hat for a dollar just so I could look ridiculous at Hawaii night in Yuma.
Vehicle Drivers: This is were the Mexicans excel , as they are nuts and have a death wish where the DR ( vehicle ) driver are much more careful and courteous. There seems to be much more courtesy when merging and lane changing and certainly a lot less horn honking. Mexican will pass anywhere and anytime; corners , hills and double lines mean nothing. DR vehicle driver pretty much obey the rules.
Motorcycle Riding; Now these people are completely nuts. They pass anywhere anytime , on the left ,on the right. Stop sign are for vehicles and they seem to know the vehicles will give way.
Incidental there is open season on Pedestrians which is the same in MX. We have seen up to a family of 4 on one of the motorcycles which is slightly bigger than a Scooter. They do have a helmet law but very few every where one .
That's it for Mexico Light ... Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment