Sunday, 25 December 2011

Christmas Day in ZA

Let me just say the Christmas is no big deal with the ZA people that we are camped with nor the ones I have talk to. The stores certainly are not into Christmas in a big way. Being a Santa Claus ( Father Christmas to them )is about as interesting as a 1942 newspaper. There are about 2 dozen little kids in the park and of course the parent brought some gifts along but it does not carry the same "pazza" or excitement as getting gifts under a beautiful Christmas tree. Some folks went to church but many just carried on like any other day.
After breakfast we decide to tour the city of Stellenbosch since all the stores were closed and the streets where vacant. That way we could just meander around without being pushed by the traffic. I will say that the drivers are very polite, in that they seldom honk their horn, by they do speed by you, whether they have the right away or not. I am convinced that running a Red light is their "Fourth National sport" behind Soccer; Rugy and Crichet. I ask a tour driver if the speed limit on all freeways was 120 KMH and without hesitation he said No; that is our "take-off" speed, cruising speed is a little higher.
We had scheduled our Christmas dinner at a local resturaunt for 2 PM but changed it to 1 PM so we could hit the Beach again today. The meal came with a "Starter" and a dessert. Anyhow, the serviced seem slow but we we seen that the waitresses were busy so we waited: until two table who came after us got served ahead of us ; so I got a knot in face and let the waitress know I was unhappy. Apparently, our order got lost, which of course only happens to the Eslers. Since our dinner took 2 hours, it was to late to hit the beach so we returned to camp and went to the camp swimming pool, which was a relief from the heat. It was very hot and muggie today but I do not know the temp but I would guess in the high 30's. Apparently they don't have thermometers in ZA. It is either Hot, Cool or rainning and if you can't tell the difference you are in trouble.
The evening cooled off very nicely so we sat around the fire. Merry christmas to All

No comments:

Post a Comment