Friday, 9 December 2011

9 Dec L Agulhas to Kommetjie

Last night while camped in L'Agulhas we encountered high winds and rain. The rain was light but the winds rocked our RV all night. however the Sun came out about 9 AM and it turned out to be pretty nice day. We drove thru mostly farm land and seen many dairy herds, most made up of Gurnsey, Brown Swiss and Ayrshires, Which was a surprise to me as we would have thought that dairy herds would be Holstiens. Also, there is a large amount of grain farms and they seem to have many more grain elevators then we in western Canada have. The fields are humoungas. I'mI sure their fields are in the hundreds of arcre lots. Because the area is all hills and rolling land they have few if any square or rectangle fields. I have not seen the large equipt that you would associate with such large fields.
The trip was uneventful until I decided to drive like a ZA would. We were on an excellent two lane hwy with 8 ft shoulders and the 18 wheeler slide over to the shoulder indicating that I could pass. At the exact same time an oncoming car decided to pass an 18 wheeler coming up the hill. Neither one of us had the right to pass but that never stops a ZA from passing. As we got closer Carroll shouted "Oh no..Oh no, I on other hand used words that not found in the Bible. As we got closer, everyone squeezed over and we all made it thru.
We stopped at a "lay by" at the top of a mountain to take some pics of the city below and the gorgerous view of the beaches along the waterfront. Unforetunatedly for me there were several Hawkers there with their carving etc and Carroll clean out my wallet again. So now I had to go into town and find an ATM because I can move without money in my pocket.
Now we are heading for our destination called kommetjie ( pronounced kom mo key ) and as we are worming our way along the shore line of the Indian ocean when we entered a small town and then we seen this railroad underpass which read 2.7 m and we are 3 m and now panic mode kicked in. Luckily there was a street that we could turn off and get out of the jam but we still had to get to the other side. So we circled back to an information booth that we had just passed. The lady said can I help and i said your dam right you can. She directed us to a crossing albeit down some dam narrow streets.
We contiued on for another half hour and found our camp site, which incidentally cost 33.00 Cdn per day. This now is the high season and we are inthe most sought after camping area for the Christmas season. When we signed in Carroll inquired about the laundry facilities. The lady said we do not have any but there is lady at the Shell station wHo does laundry, So down we go and for 5.00 she will do all our laundry. It did take long for carroll to say "and when do I get it back and a will it folded.

No comments:

Post a Comment