Today we traveled thru a couple of townS, which I' ll touch on later, to the Cape of Good Hope, which is the most south westerly tip of Africa. It is also where the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean meet again. Before we got to the Cape we had to travel along the coast line and gradually climb a mountain ( not be confused with the Rockies ) it was a scenic drive, as most drives along the ocean are, with many stops along the way to drink in the beauty and to snap a few pics.
Unbeknown to us this area is a National park, and that means we do not pay because we purchased an Annual Park pass when we entered Kurger National park back in Nov. Although I thought it was expensive then, it is now paying off. Also, when we approached the gate it had a 2.6M height restriction so I immedately went Oh No. So I parked the MH and ask the attendent what was my next move. He said to go thru the Bus entrance , great.".. problem solved. The next hurdle was parking at Cape Point. Now Cape point is about a KM east of the Cape of Good Hope and actually extends farther into the ocean but it is in the Indian Ocean not the Atlantic. Since it is much more attractive and commercialized than the Cape of Good Hope we went there first. They actually have parking monitors and you have to park where they tell you. However, we are not a vehicle, as we are now a Bus and a Bus get preferred parking. They can call me anything they want as long as I get preferred parking. Then to reach the peak of Cape Point you have to climb a few hundred steps .... Or take a cable car which they call a " Funicular" We decided on the cable car at a posted cost of R45 each. But when we approached the clerk, she took one look at me or maybe it Carroll and said , since you are "pensioners" that will only be R20 each. What a bargin.
We walked around the peak of Cape Point, snap pics, talked to few people, and rode the cable car down and proceeded to the Cable of Good Hope. Just as an aside there was a small incident on the cable car. A father and two teenagers were on the car with us and they were eating chips and drinking pop. I notice a sign above their head which read " no food or drink while on the " Funiclar " . The father sensed I
was looking at something so he looked up and read the sign aloud to his kids and then they snickered. Without thinking I said " it's a bugger when you failed grade three " . Apparently, I am now off his Christmas card list.
From here we venture down the peak and took another road to the Cape of Good Hope, which is nothing more than a point of land, sticking out into the ocean where the two oceans meet, with a plague that say: Cape of Good Hope. What else did you think it would say.
On the way home we stopped at some " hawkers " set up at the roadside and Carroll bought a 3 ft. giraffe. How in hell , am I going to get it home.
Then we stopped at Simon's Town to view and to take some pics of the only Penquins in Africa. There were hundreds of them , only a few
feet from us, protect by a Boardwalk and they almost seem to be posing for us.
Then we headed for the unique town of Fish Hoek which is on the Indian Ocean , where I went swimming and made a few attempts at Body Surfing. We then had another fish and went home. Tidbit; the price of diesel has dropped 20 cents after I filled up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment