Monday, 5 December 2011

5 Dec Oudtshoorn

Our day started off on a nice note as the neighbor lady delivered 2 freshly baked muffins for our breakfast. Now how often does that happen in a camp ground. After breakfast we decided to visit some renown Caves in the area, even thought we have been the Calsbad caves in New Mexico twice and they are spectacular.
But on the way we stopped at a " Roadside Hawker " who was selling Ostrich eggs with pictures of the Big 5 or a maps of Africa or even your picture imprinted on them. Actually we stopped yesterday to check on the price and we made a deal for one egg with the map of Africa on one half and the big 5 on the other half for R120. ( they sell for R225 at the Curio stores ) but he did not have any but would have one tomorrow,hence the reason we stopped. So now he tries to up the price another R10 because he is loosing money. But I,m not buying it ( so I think )So I don't have the exact change and I whip out two R100. His eyes lite up and he says I'll give you two eggs for R200. I'm thinking , what deal, I saved R125 each by buying from the Hawker rather than the Curio shop. What a deal maker I am? Now ,how the hell do I get them home without breaking them.
After the egg deal we went to the Caves and took the 1 1/2 tour along with about 30 other interested souls about our age as they we from a bus tour group. Although my interest was original very low the tour guide gave us a lot of history and we thoroughly enjoyed it. After the tour we drummed up a conversation with a middle age couple from Joburg. They gave us a few more tips on what we should see while in ZA. They, along with most of people we meet have a long lost Aunt in Victoria, BC or a cousin working Toronto.
Now, to finish the day we decided to visit an Olive Farm which was on our way back to the camp. Although we had to travel 1 1/2 KM over a dirt road to reach the ( what we thought was a farm) turned out to be an Olive farm and a 5 Star, no... Make that a 6 Star restaurant and Guest Chalets. They did not have a tour not did the sell Olives but they did have food and beer so we stayed for lunch. We also had a short conversation with a young couple from Amsterdam and they spoke fluent English with no ascent.

We still wanted to see an Olive processing plant so we headed for another one. But they only give you the history on the Olive and about how they make Olive oil and shown you their Olive and give you the taste test. We did find it interesting and of course we bought a couple of Jars of Olives. Now that is how we spent our day. Tomorrow we will head for Mossel Bay some 88 km down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment