We started the day by checking out the town of Mossel Bay as we actually camped on the other side of the bay of which the town is located Mossel bay is a tourist town and with 3 large camping areas this became obvious. Also it's beaches are great for swimming and Surfing. There did not seem to be too much industry but it did have a port and there were 3 ships waiting off shore , to enter. There definitely were many boutique store, which tells me it is mainly for the tourist. I must say that we were surprised to see that 99 percent of the signage was in African not English. About 10 KM out of town we seen a huge plants which I would assume was a Petrochemical plant but they don't have any oil or gas and whatever is processed would have to be trucked in and out.
On way down the road heading for Stil Bay we seen a " wild " animal farm which advertised Lions,Leopards and Tiger so in we go as we still want to see a Leopard. I still don't consider an animal as "wild " if is fenced in and the guide calls it by name but it is what it is. After spending an hour looking at sleeping animal and snapping 30 or so pics we headed out. I will say that just seeing two white Tiger was really something, however, since a female guide was siting petting them, it kind of took the "Wild " edge of the tour.
Now we are off to Stil Bay or as the sign says Stilbaai because in Stil Bay all signage is also in African. Still Bay is 26 KM off the N2, the main hwy, but it is right on the ocean, which is what we are looking for. After arriving in town we turn on the GPS to find the camp site. No such luck but the camping book says it is located on the ocean and at the mouth of the river so that sounded too easy. we found the ocean and the river and we seen a camping area but no sign with the name we expected see. Carroll suggested that we drive into this particuilar camp site anyway and as we got to the reception office, we seen the name so we are now at the right camp site.I told the reception to put a sign that person can see from the road... She said I don't need to i'm usually full. So much for my advise. At this time she had lots of empty sites so she said to pick one but I'm want to warn you that I have a lot of University students coming in later today and they are camping walong the fence so I suggest you pick one a long ways away from them.
Also , in some camps as in this one you get a key to the washrooms, which are called Ablutions, ands you get a roll of toilet paper as there is none in the washroom. In some camps you have to supply you own toilet paper.
After setting up we, we hit the ocean/beach for a couple of hours and then toured the town and picked up a few groceries. When I entered the mall parking i did not notices the one way arrows, because they are on the pavement not on a sign so I came out the wrong way. Ithiught the parking attendant was going to have heart attack.
Since we are on the ocean we decided to go out for another Sea food supper. As usual it was great and reasonable. Two sea food players, 6 Prawns for a starter, a coffee and a glass of wine for the driver all for 30.00 Cdn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment