Monday, 20 March 2017

Happy St. Paddy's Day... dated 20 Mar 17

17 March

All the "wannabe " Irish where wearing green today and as being a Friday it was grounds for many parties. Although we did not partake in any, for reasons I can't recall. I had other things on my mind like a dental appointment.

Today is the day I got a partial Plate to complete my dental work. My appointment was for 9:30 AM ( in Mexico ) but I showed up early, hoping that I would be the first customers, which I was. The last time I had a partial was 20 plus years ago ( in Med Hat ) and I recall that I returned to the dentist several time for some adjustments so I expected the same this time.  The fit was much better than my expectations but they had to adjust ( meaning grind away ) one tooth in the partial  so my bite  was to my satisfaction. Once I was happy I made the finally payment and got my receipt. Now I  hope that  the Dental Insurance will cover most of the cost.  A friend told me he paid 2100.00 for his partial in Canada so I would think that my Insurance company would be glad to pay 385.00 USD for mine.   

We decided to go to Dirty Al's for supper in McAllen. A little history on Dirt Al;s. 
 Dirty Al's first restaurant was built on the Wharf , just above where his fishing boat was tied up , on South Padre Island ( SPI ) many years ago and it just  served sea food and was famous for its' shrimp.  We first visited Dirty Al's original restaurant in 1999, which incidental is still operating. It  was and still is  as basic as it could be and still meet the health regulations. You do the "walk up " order and they call your order number when ready. Then you grab a table, with an oil cloth cover( easy to clean )  normally with several other folks because these are large tables and hold about a dozen people.  Hence , a conversation ensues with these folks. Also the napkins are a roll of paper towel so you get the picture of the ambiance.

Then a few years later, Dirty Al opened another restaurant in SPI , which is a normal type restaurant and we are told it is run by his son. This year we where told that there was a Dirty Al's restaurant in McAllen so we had to check it out. This restaurant has a complete menu and is more upscale,  much like a Keg or a Tony Roma's. We had to wait 20 minutes for a table so you know that it was a busy place and has up scaled from the original Sea Food idea. The food was great and the cost was 40.00 which include my 4.00 beer. cheers

Did you ever wonder why there is a Stairway to Heaven but a Highway to Hell. Apparently there is more traffic going to Hell. 

 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment