16 Mar
Our MH has a large 4 door fridge ( 2 doors for the freezer and 2 larger doors for the Fridge ) and the hinge on one of the fridge doors snapped off this summer. Because our door has the hinge molded to the door you can not buy the hinge, hence you have to purchase a new door. So I called Norcold, the Mfg, and the bad news is that they no longer make that fridge hence , no spare parts. I went to Bruce's RV just to verify that the fridges were obsolete and he confirmed my worst nightmare.
My choices are to buy 4 new doors but I would need to buy a panel for each door and the estimated cost would be about 1500.00 My other choice is to search every RV/MH salvage yard and hope that someone has replace a fridge like ours and it is sitting in a salvage yard. This sounds like the "needle in the haystack " story and even then I never liked my chances
In my earlier blogs I mentioned that I had some Do Nothing Days but actually I was looking for this door. I first contact an America friend who spends the winter in Mexico and owns a MH just like ours and I recall that he had replaced his fridge. He gave me 3 possible sites that he has " Mined " for parts over the years but I had no luck. Then I did a search on all RV/MH salvages yards in North American and I got 3 pages of result which at first glance left me with much, but short lived optimism. I started calling and/or emailing each site but every thing was negative and nobody seemed to know where I could get help.
Finally I got back to my American friend, who is still in MX. He insisted I tried McKenny Salvage again, even thought I did call before. I called again and I ask if this was Mckenny Salvage and the guy sort of hesitated and said , it use to be, but it is now Bunkhouse New and Used RV Services so this was why, on my first try, that they said it was not McKenny. Anyhow the agent said he would check for a used Fridge door for our model and return the call later. I waited for 4 days without a return call so I called again. This time I got a lady and she took the model number and said she would call back within 2 hours. She called back and said I got your door but it will cost you 250.00 plus shipping. I was elated !!! She said I will send you a few pictures and if it's what you want please call back with your Visa and the address. She also said she would check on the shipping cost.
Once we seen the pics we knew it was the right door. We just could not believe that someone would have a used door for a fridge that was built in 2003 and was no longer being built. The door was shipped on the 16 March from Alabama and of this AM it has reach , Mesquite, TX near Dallas. It will arrive on Tuesday. One other problem we had to overcome. They would not accept my Cdn Visa so I had to get our friend Terry (from Med Hat) to pay for it with her US credit card. Cheers
The Founding Fathers said that Capitalism was created by Genesis' so it could be run by Idiots.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment