Friday, 20 February 2015

Overnight in Kerriville 18 Feb 2015

When we woke at the Rest Stop we still had no battery power to close the slide. Therefore I had to bring the slide in manually.
All slides do have a manual over-ride' it was just that I never thought to read the manual as I did not expect I would have to use the manual over-ride. After removing some of the cargo I crawl into the cargo space to address the problem. The manual says there is a 3/4 inch nut on the end of the shaft in which to retrieve the slide. I guess the guy responsible for installing that nut was on days off when they built our MH because it was not there. Move to  Plan B; a 12 inch pipe wrench would do the trick except I left that wrench at home. I didn't think I would need it but I have since change my mind. Move to Plan C; I do have a 6 inch pipe wrench in my tool kit but is asking a lot from such a small wrench but I must give it a try and Bingo it worked and the slide came in and this procedure took about 1/2 an hour.

So now we  headed for Kerriville and we expect to arrive there between 5 and 6 PM, and to stay at the Cracker Barrel overnight. After driving down the road for some time Carroll notice that the interior lights came so for some reason the lost power is back. I'm confused but I still think it has some thing to do with the ignition switch, so I'll call Tiffin when I get to TX.

The trip was pretty much uneventful except for the crosswinds that blew most of the day.  By the afternoon, we kept looking  for diesel fuel prices that were around the 2.55 price range but most of the Truck Stops where at least 2.85 or more. I did pass one Truck stop that was 2.56 but I was past it before I notice it. Finally, I was down to a 1/4 tank so I had to refuel at 2.99 a gallon.
We arrived at the Cracker Barrel in Kerriville  at 5:30 PM so after driving for 10 hours I decided I was overdue for a sip of Crown Royal.  After supper we checked our email and there was a message from our friends in Southern Comfort, TX that read  "Please call me ASP". I knew right away it was not good so we called on Face Time only to be told our friend Joe , who has ALS and was wintering in Southern Comfort, TX had passed away late Sunday evening. We knew Joe was not well but his death  was certainly unexpected. We knew Joe's wife Terry would be helped through this ordeal with Shirley and Don Meakin and hopefully we could be of some comfort when we get there tomorrow. It was another sad night for us. cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment