Wednesday, 11 February 2015

A knock on the door, Saturday 7 Feb 2015

At 6 AM, while Carroll and I have just awaken, thinking of what to do when suddenly we heard a  knock on the door. I darted out of bed, dressed only I my underwear, wondering what or who the  hell could be at the door at this time of the morning.  In a flash I assumed it must be the police.
To my surprise it was a well dressed young man about 30 years of age and he said Hello ( in Spanish ) do you have a problem. I yes , my MH won't go and needs a mechanic. He said come with me and I will find you a mechanic. I said where and he said in Tepic. Tepic is 45 miles away. So I said, let me get dressed. While getting dressed I was wondering if this was for real or was it a set up but the young man seemed sincere. So I grabbed my booklet with all the Engine Data that I had compiled and the Operation and Maintenance Manual for my Cummins engine. So we jumped in his car and took off. A few minutes later he says I have to go home first, which is in the local town of Compostella. When we got to his home he says you must come in; I said no I'll wait in the car. He says no, you must come in. Now, I'm getting apprehensive but I agree, all the time looking for an escape route if necessary. Once in the house he volunteers that his wife and two children are on vacation. Then he get grabs his iPad and say you type out the problem with your MH. I started typing and lo and behold it translated my English into Spanish so he could understand the problem. He then writes down the translation on a piece of paper and says lets go to Tepic so off we go. I'm feeling more at ease now.
On the way to Tepic we try to talk and I understand that his father  is in the Tepic hospital and will be operated on for stomach cancer on Monday.
When we get to Tepic he goes to a garage and speaks with a Mechanic but they do not have the Code Reader we need. But he sends us to another garage and he assures me this guy can help us. ( I've seen this movie before and it is never good) but I am between a rock and hard spot so I'm hoping.
I should mention that Mexicans work 6 days a week so the garage is open. When we arrive at the garage he ask the Clerk to see the owner.  She then makes a phone call and said the owner will be here shortly so I'm thinking "Mexican Time ". About 1/2 an hour later the Owner and his wife show up and they exchange salutations and I believe he gave them a short briefing about my problem. The wife looks at me and says is it an ISL engine, I said yes,  then she replies do you have the Operating manual so I hand it to her. I'm thinking this lady knows her business. The owner then gets his Code Reader out and ask me if it was a 10 pin or 6 pin connector and I knew it was a 6 pin. I think he said good, we can do it. Then the owner went to his "garage area" and returned with a mechanic. The mechanic says to me Hello. How are you , in English. ( You can imagine how relived I felt ) he then ask some question about my problem. He say we will go to you MH and we will solve the problem. What a relief. The wife, who runs the parts department then handed me a fuel filter and says take it. Then the English speaking mechanic and one other prepared the service vehicle while the owner change into his work clothes.
The young man who brought me to Tepic says you are going with them so we shook hands. I gave him 200 P for fuel and off he went.
The owner told me to jump in the front of the truck and the two mechanics got into the back and off we go to the MH.
Once we arrived at the MH the mechanics did a lot of checking and finally connected Code Reader and said that your problem is not the Throttle that was the problem in Guayabitos. After further checks they pin point the problem as the fuel filter and they changed it and it was obvious that was the problem. They insisted that we take the MH for a drive so we did a 20 KM run and all was great.
Now for the " bill ". Just remember , there was 3 mechanic, a service vehicle and they drove about 100 KM round trip and they replaced the filter. The total bill was 200.00 USD.
The English speaking mechanic ask me many questions about Canada , mostly about Mexicans who work in Canada and about their wages. I told him that a MacDonald's worker would get about 120 P and hour and he say that he only made 150 P per day (15.00 ) ; yes per day.
Finally Carroll and I took off and arrived at Mazatlan about 6 PM. While driving down a street in Mazatlan a dam tree branch jumped out an bite us but luckily it hit the Air horn first then bounced off the awning  and did not due any damage. Our friends Otto and Edna where waiting for us, at the  RV park with a beer and supper. What an unbelievable day. Yes there is an angel. cheers


No comments:

Post a Comment