Sunday, 15 January 2017

Price of Booze: Texas or MX 5 jan 17

I was visiting with a friend who has been coming here for 20 years. I mentioned that I had to pick up a bottle of Crown Royal and he says that the price in MX are not much different then buying it in Tx. He suggested I go to Feldman's which is a Discount Liquor franchise across the USA and check the prices.


The reason that the price of booze  in MX is similar to the prices in TX  is twofold. First the duty free store in MX has closed so you have to buy it at the duty free in the US before you cross into MX. Then ,if you don't want to carry it while you shop in MX you can have a shop hold it until you are ready to leave MX for 2.00. Then when you cross into the US you have to pay a 3.75 tax per bottle, hence every bottle purchased in MX increases by 5.74.


So I went to Feldman's to check prices and I picked up a 1.75 L bottle of Maple Rye for 50.00. Tax included, so that is about 75 CDN. I thought the price was reasonable until I return a few days later to find out it was on sale for 41.00. I'll check the price when I go to MX next week. Cheers







No comments:

Post a Comment