When you are travelling, you don't realize that it is the last day of the year. Anyhow, when we left Sheridan, WY, it had stopped snowing during the night but the roads where still snow covered, in fact the passing lane look a little treacherous. Of course I was in 4 wheel drive but 80 KMH seemed like the safest speed, at least until I got a feel of the road. The snow ploughs were out but they always seem to be on the other side of the road, and of course our side always seems to be the worst.
It was not long before I caught up to several vehicles that were travelling at 50 KMH ( 30 MPH ) and the roads appeared, to me at least, that this was a little too slow. With Carroll's permission I challenged the passing lane even thought it was snow covered . I carefully got by these "slow pokes " and then decided to follow a 18 wheeler who was making good time.
As we were climbing a hill, the Sun was directly in my eyes and the 18 wheeler merged off on the exit lane. Since I lost sight of the road, I followed 18 wheeler. Once he got off the highway, he came to a full stop and appeared to be lost. As it turns out, this area was a very small town and with all the snow I had to find a lane way that was plough so I could turn around. Once I go turned around I thought I would merge right back on the Interstate. Not so fast; you can not enter the Interstate from here so how in Hell do I get back on the highway. I continued across the overpass wondering what to do when Carroll spotted a "snow covered " sign which read " continue 2 1/2 miles to enter I-25. That was the good news; The bad news is that the road was barely a 2 lane road and it was snow covered and had not be plough today. We had doubts about our ability to get thru a 2 1/2 miles of snow covered road but we had no choice but to "plough " on. We actually got back on I-25 at the end of the road but it seemed odd to drive 2 1/2 miles north to get back on the south bound side of the Interstate.
Once back on I-25 the roads were getting much better and we were able to get back to 110 KMH. After driving a couple hour fighting the Sun I decided to let Carroll share the sunshine in her eye since it appeared that she was only sleeping; which she denied. Once in the co-pilots seat, I then fell asleep and Carroll woke me once we reached Casper, WY, where we decided to stop for breakfast. We where surprised to see that the roads where clear with very little snow except for the ditches.
After breakfast it was clear sailing the rest of the day. We arrived in a mid size town called Limon about 6 PM so that was enough travelling for today. We have stopped here before and I recall that the Comfort Inn was reasonable priced and it had a pool, hot tub, Wifi and an excellent hot breakfast.
This motel had been renovated since we were last here. After I ask the price I played the Veteran card again and they again knock off 15.00. When the clerk punched my name into the computer he said it was already in there data bank so there was no required to produce identification.
We when out for supper and then enjoyed the hot tub. So that is how you spend New Years Eve on the road. Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment