We search for a campsite along the Bay of Fundy as we are eventually heading for Digby to visit a friend from our Shilo days. Because of the Labour day holiday it was not easy to find a place but we found one on the coastal road.
As we packing up to leave our Birchwood camp site the weather was starting to look like rain and we want to get the hooked up quickly. We did not make it. First I had to turn the MH around in an area about the size of a Postage stamp and find a level spot. Just as we lined up the car to mount the Dolly the Sky fell in and before we could run for cover in the car we got wet. After 20 minutes the rain subsided so we got to splash around in 1 inch of water while loaded the car.
Just as I was pulling out of the campsite the smoke detector went off. Since there was no smoke nor smell of smoke I removed the battery from the detecter... problem solved. I put the battery in later that day and it has not alarmed since so I'm not sure of the reason for the alarm.
We had to go thru Turo on our way to Walton which is on Minas Bay. I have not found out how the Bay got it's name yet but Mr. Minas must have settled here. After getting thru Turo we were again on a two lane coastal hwy 215 which was barely wide enough when meeting a truck or a MH. The road condition was acceptable until we hit the town of Maitland. The sign read " Rough Road for 16 KM " and they were not lying about the condition. This road would not due justice to a Plough field. However, they were replacing all the culverts with the intention to pave the road later this year which probably means next year.
About 3/4 of the way down the 16 KM I spotted some gas/diesel pumps at a Trailer sales and rental place and the diesel price was 95.9 and since I was near the 1/4 mark I pulled in. After looking at the condition of the pumps I was having second thought but I did know how far to the next fuel stop so I stayed. An older gentleman ( around my age ) came out to pump the fuel and he said "Fill'er Up" I said yes but stop at 300.00. He gulped and then repeated " 300.00 dollars. I said Yes. He had to hold the trigger as it did not have the latch to hold the nozzle open so we had lots of time to chat.
He ask me the Preverbal questions ; where you from , where are you going etc. I ask if he lived here all his life and he said he had lived in Belize for 20 years before moving back to NS. I ask what he did in Belize and he said farming. Then the "light " went on.... I said to myself that he must be a Mennonite as there lots of Mennonites who farm in the state of Orange Walk in Belize. He said they planted Beans in Dec and in June they planted Corn in the same field each and every year.
I ask why he left Belize and he said the Belizean people did not like "them " probably meaning Mennonites and he said the people where stealing "us " blind. So 20 years was enough.
After a few more KM we finally hit a good road and shortly there after found our campsite called Whale Creek ( Whale Cove and Whale Bay must have been taken. ha ha ) This campsite is mainly Seasonal ( 30 spots ) with about 10 weekend spots, mostly tent areas. However, we got a nice spot facing the ocean where you could, if you are stuck for something to do, watch the tide go In and Out. Yippee!!!! In hindsight we should have continued to Digby. The owner said that all the Seasonal occupants were within a 45 minute driver from home.
After a quick lunch we decided to explore the area and since Windsor was supposedly a 45 minutes drive , we thought it would be worth the trip and it would kill the afternoon. We got about 5 KM down the road and a sign said Turn Right for the Light house tour. We thought we would find the location and return later since it was close to the campsite. However the Tour Guide/ Gift shop operator was on us like Flies on a Manure pile and started to explain about the Light House before we got out of the car. So I felt compelled to tour the light house. There is no way in Hell that Carroll could climb to the top of the stairs. Incidentally, NS had 163 Light House and I'm not sure if that included Cape Breton. In the minds of most Cape Bretons', they believe it is a separate Province.
So off to Windsor we go and about 20 minutes down the road it started to pour buckets and the wipers could not clear the windshield . As a result, we abandoned the idea of going to Windsor since it appeared that we were driving into the rain not out of it. We then decided to enjoy the scenery on the way home as there are lots of Bays to stop at and view the scenery.
I ask the campsite owner about WiFi and she said it was OK to go to site 17 and sit on their deck as the signal was the strongest there and the people where away. I was on the deck for 10 minutes before 3 people came to see what I was doing on this persons deck. Once I explain that the Camp Owner told me to use the deck everything was OK.
Several of the Campers walk to the beach around 6 PM to watch the Sun go down. I ask if the Sun goes down every night and one guy said " So Far So Good ". After Miller Time and supper we called it a day. Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment