We have been in Whale Cove long enough so we are moving to Middleton along the South coast. We would have liked to go to Digby, but as I mentioned earlier, Digby and area are hosting a Wharf Rat Rally that basically is a Biker Rally. As a result, all Camp grounds within a 50 KM area a are full and have been reserved for months so Middleton is as close we could get a site to Digby, which is a 45 minute drive. We will venture there tomorrow.
Our drive to Middleton first takes us on a 1 hour drive on a two lane narrow ( sometimes too narrow) Hwy/road to the outskirts of Windsor. We then pick up a main Hwy , 101 which goes along the south coast all the way passed Digby to Yarmouth. After about an hours drive we reach our turn off to the town of Middleton but we were not sure whether to turn right or left from the off ramp. The road I was about to enter did not look that wide so I decided to phone the Camp ground and ask for directions.
My directions to the lady on the other end of the phone was: I just came off Hwy 101, at exit 18and I am at the stop sign. Do I turn right or left? Her directions were turn right , drive about 5 KM and we are on the right, you can't miss our sign. "Oh Yeah". We turned right ,drove 5 KM and met a Tee junction. That's when I realized that myself and the lady where speaking of a different Stop sign.
Luckily a car pulled up behind me so I got out and as for direction. The gentleman knew of the camp site so he says, you will have to turn around and go back on this road. I said, Sorry but that is not an option because you do not turn this Rig around on a 2 lane road so do have a better option. He says no problem, turn left go to the next road , turn left , drive 5 KM until you hit a stop light in town turn left and drive 2 KM down main street, and Orchard Queen RV park is on your left.
Carroll thought that she would phone the lady at the camp to tell her that we talking about a different stop sign and we turned the wrong way and where on our way. The lady must have been confused so he told us to stop as we were going on the wrong road but I just ignored her because I trusted the gentleman's directions. After some lengthy conversation between Carroll and the camp lady we reached the stop lights on Main street. Finally the lady agreed , we in fact on the right road. So she said she would stand on the sidewalk and wave so we would not miss the Camp site.
As I was pulling into our site a gentle across the roadway was watching ( everybody watches ) and I had to back up to jockey into the site. He stood and pointed and indicated that I was very close to something which I failed to notice when I pulled in. It was the picnic table so he moved it for me.
After I got parked I went over to thank him and I ask where he was from and he said Digby. I mentioned that we were going to Digby to see a friend so he ask her name and when I said Grace Turnbull he says I know her and I did some carpentry work for her.
The people in the next site were have a family gathering so I comment about smell of food so as to start a conversation. They invited us over later to enjoy the fire and after supper.
However, while setting up the MH I thought I smelt ammonia and I check the outside Fridge compartment and yes it was coming from there. That spelled " disaster" because it means a new fridge cooling unit and no fridge for the rest of the journey unless I could get repaired. Since tomorrow is a holiday I knew I would have to wait until Tuesday.
While sitting around the camp fire I mentioned I was looking for a storage area to store our MH while in Nfld. Jack MacKinnon, who is the Father / Grandfather of the family gathering was a business man in Halifax so he gave me a name and address. I mentioned the fridge problem and he said he would get some names in the morning. I did not expect a quick fix and I am correct.
We will worry about the fridge tomorrow. cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment