As mentioned yesterday , we were stayed at a 12 room B and B which means there were 24 people for breakfast. However, most B and B will allow you to chose one of two set timing such as 8 AM or 9 AM. Although, Elise, were we stayed twice , just said to come to breakfast anytime after 7:30 and I'll make you breakfast. This particular B and B could only seat 12 people at a setting so their timings were 7:30 and 8:30.
Since we did not arrive until late afternoon, we did not have a choose so we had to settle for 8:30 setting which very much suited Carroll, Vince and Lynda since they are not early risers like Yours Truly. However, we, along with the rest of the late shift where in the living room by 8:15 and the early shift where in no hurry as they were swapping travel stories and gathering info on each others adventures besides gulping down there 2nd , 3nd and possible 4 th cup of java. So we all helped ourselves to coffee and swapped our adventure until the early group left.
Many travelers, who work for a living often use a B and B in lieu of a hotel. I noticed a note on the entrance door of this B and B which read: Harry, you are in room 7 tonight, signed Lucy. I'm sure if they are on first name bases, it was not his first time here. Also there were a couple of "younger" residence who just grabbed a cup of coffee and where gone.
Yesterday I mentioned that I spoke to a couple who had been to Botwood, about 20 KM from our B and B and toured the Aircraft Museum and it sounded most interesting. After breakfast, we headed for Botwood . They have an Aircraft Museum and a Museum of the area. The cost was 4.00 for one Museum or 6.00 for both. What a deal, we rolled the dice and when for both Museum. However, Carroll's idea of visiting a Museum is a quick walk through. The aircraft Museum was excellent and our guide was very informative and interesting.
The 1st building was about the Botwood Aviation History. I won't bore you with the details except for a brief exposé but I think you will find it very interesting if you look it up on goggle.
Aviation began in Botwood as early as 1919. The passenger aircraft began flying in and out of Botwood in 1937 and were actually called Flying Boats. Pan America Airways and British Imperial Airways used Botwood as their Base on this side of the Atlantic. I will mention that both Roosevelt and Churchill have visited Botwood Air base. At the beginning of WW11 the RCAF took over the Botwood Air Base and enlarge it for Military purpose. They gave it back to Botwood in 1945. If you go to Nfld it is well worth you visit to stop at Botwood.
The morning was now shot; so we headed to St. John's, first to find a B and B and to travel around the area, which we saved for the end of our journey. We could not find a B and B so we opted for an Inn which we thought come with breakfast but it did not. It was an Old, Old Hotel/Inn ( I'm not sure of the difference ) but the rooms where great.
Some of the NATO fleet where in port as they had just finished an exercise on the East coast and the sailors where on "R and R" or as they call it "I and I". If you need an explanation send me an email. The biggest ship , of course was from the USA and it dwarfed our so called ships. We tried to get close to the US ship and accidentally drove down the wrong road. We were met by a Cdn Military Policeman, a female US Military Police and a Cdn civilian guard. The guard came to the car and I guess we looked like tourist and we surely did not speak "Newfinees" so he ask where we were from an once Vince said , Sask, and then the stories were flowing. This gentleman was a retired teacher like Vince and Lynda and he had a daughter in Sask, bah bah bah. The cops paid no attention to us and after 20 minute we left as we were heading for a brewery in Quidy Vidi ( pro.. Kitty Vidi ) for a tour and free beer.
When we did got to the Brewery it was 4 PM and the last tour was at 3 PM. However, were invited to return tomorrow morning at 11 AM for a tour and beer. I said , tomorrow is Sunday is it not; and the lady said "you point being". I said ( with tongue in cheek ) we would come right after church. I then got the lecture from Carroll for being a smart ass.
We called it a day and returned to our " room at the Inn " and watched hockey. cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment