Carroll and I ordered glasses in Mx about two weeks ago and, in Mexican fashion, we were promised that it would take 7 or 10 days ( and they would call us when nthey were in ) because our glasses had to come from .... you guessed it; from Phoenix. The reason being that we wanted anti-glare and they don't do it in Algodonnes, MX. If you don't need or want anti-glare it only takes 2 1/2 hours to make your glasses.
After 10 days with no phone call , we called them and of course no glasses yet but they should be in by tomorrow ( Manama ) , which means maybe tomorrow. I do not think that Mexicans have the capacity to live on a definite schedule so it was no surprise that the glasses would not be delivered on time.
At 9 AM today we called to see if our glasses were in and " Eureka " the glasses had arrived so off we go to pick them up. As it turns out, the weather is " shitty " as it is windy, cool and looks like rain so we have to wear a sweater and Jeans.
I should explain that the Optometrist company is called Meyers and they have 3 shops run by 3 brothers. I assume each brother runs a shop but the business is co-mingled. They Lenses are ground in another shop somewhere close by the office we went to, hence the reason they can be done in 2 1/2 hours.
When we arrived at the office, they were busy with other customers but the clerk notice us and reaffirmed that our glasses where in. The doctor is a funny character and often jokes with the customers. When we ordered the glasses he ask Carroll if I was her husband and she said yes , for 53 years. He says , why would stay with him for that long?. So now I owe him one . As he was explaining to the customer that his glasses would be ready in 2 1/2 hours, I said don't believe him, I have been waiting for 2 weeks for mine. The customer had a shocked look on his face and the doctor explained why my glasses took 2 weeks. Finally we got our glasses fitted an the cost for both pair was 660.00.
Now I had to return to the Dentist as I felt that my bridge was not quite right. The dentist checked the bite and did a touch up so it now feels great.
Carroll now feels, in the shopping mood and she just remembered that she needed (another) table cloth from MX. The shop we picked is run by a Mother and an adult son. The Mother understand English but doesn't speak it well but the son is fluent in English. After we pick out the table cloth , the son says it cost 50.00 so I pretend I'm unset so I walk away and he comes after me and says he will do better. Carroll offers 20.00 and the Mother ( who can not speak English ) says No No, give me 30.00. Carroll counters at 25.00, and says it is my best offer but Mom says No. I take 25.00 out of my wallet and I say , do you want it or not. The son takes the money but Mom is not happy. Carroll is happy.
We then went to a restaurant and had lunch before picking up a pound of fresh Shrimp for 10.00 before we lined up for an hour to get thru customs. Another successful trip to MC. Cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment