Sunday, 17 January 2016

Waiting on TimeWarner

Saturday 9 th

We were advised by Time Warner ( TW ) to stay home all day Sat as they may have a cancellation and would try to "Squeeze " me in for an Internet connection. As it turns out this was a wasted day as a Installer Tech later told me this never happens because there are so many Snowbirds arriving that a cancellation just means that they go to the next guy on the list. Besides they only give you a window such as " before noon " or late afternoon as was in our case.

However, I did sneak away for ten minutes to grab a couple of  Power Ball tickets but as it turns out it was a waste of 4.00 USD because some "dam " American won the pot.

Oh Ya; I also hit the gym as I thought I could "tone " my body if I had to stay in the park. I also found out that if go to the Gym it is much quicker to do your workout and leave. I made the fatal mistake of asking a "older " gentleman how he was doing and I now know all about having a heart valve replaced and all the lead up causes and a step by step of the operation and the recovery process.
As it turns out that is my second "Heart Operation" story that I sat thru in two days. Why does everyone think I want to know about their health problem?  I guess they are just happy to be on the "Green " side of the grass. Cheers


Sunday 10 Jan
Since we can't get the Internet connected we decide to get out Cell phone activated. To do this we thought we could get it done at the Verizon Store in the Yuma Mall as they have a big store there and we have Verizon for our cell at home.  Being Sunday  we assumed it would not open until 10 AM so we got there around  10:30 only to find out that it opens at 11:00. To waste 1/2 an hour we cruised around the  Mall area to check our other stores that "Carroll " might like to visit. I kept reminding her to add 40 % to all prices.
However, we  did spot Best Buy and we were having a problem  ( mostly operator error ) with the iPad so after we get the Cell phone operational we would return to Best Buy.

We return to the Verizon store at 11:00 and ask to have our cell phone activated will a Sim card. The Tech says , "we can't do that" and I said "what " why not;  his reply was that, Verizon doesn't handle cell phone. But,  he says if you go to the AT&T store across the parking lot they will do it for you. This seemed odd to us but we went to AT&T and they sold us a Sim card with unlimited calls in the USA for 25.00 and for and extra 5.00 we could get 250 minutes for Canada, which of course we purchased.

Then we moved to the Best Buy and got a female tech who was "Badged" as the Team Leader. After spending about 20 minutes showing us a few things that we did not know and playing with the iPad she suggested that we might want to get a new one because ours was out of date. What!! it is only 3 1/2 years old. Anyway, we then ask about a new computer so she handed us over to " Martin " a young guy who seem extremely knowledge and did not seem to mind dealing with two " Computer Illiterate" seniors. He also explained that I could get a reduced price ( from 10 to 50 percent ) if I would take a "returned " computer or better still if I took an "Open Box " computer.
Returned , mean someone took it home and actually used it but returned it. The "Greeks " cleaned the computer and it was back to new. Open Box means the buyer took the computer home but never used it.
The salesman continued to tell us about this man (a Senior )  who bought a computer and his wife "Marched"  him right back and stood over him until he got his money back. He says it was quite humorous.
The bottom line is that it is just too expensive for me to buy a computer in the USA.

In the evening we visited with friends from Medicine Hat who, it seems that  we see more often in Yuma then we do at home. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment