Sunday, 27 November 2011

25 Nov Thursday Gonube & East London

Our Cdn friends left before we had a chance to say goodbye but they had another long day of travel ahead of them , as they were heading for the Cape. We inturn decide to visit the quaint little town of Gonube, which appears to a bedroom community for East London. None of the cities and towns have a sign to say the population but my guess for East London would be around 200,000.
We did a quick trip around Gonube which took about 20 min and said to ourselves; is that it. It has a beautiful beach and a few hotels and a new shopping Mall not yet full of stores but that is it. So we ventured down the road to East London and it was a zoo of traffic. We did the waterfront and they are begin to all look alike. We also looked for a Bus tour of the city but they don't have one. Then we seen something about the gigantic Mall so we found it on the outshirts of the city as per usual. However, we encountered the same parking problem, which is the entrance all have a height restriction of 2.6M ( 7 Feet) and we need at least 3 M clearance. But,Carroll, with her eagle eyes noticed that cube vans and other delivery trucks could park just inside the lot and just before the restriction gate so we followed those trucks and just parked where they did. This gate had a chain that was on the ground, so as long as it stayed there we could also get out. If not, I'll let Carroll deal with Security.
So we walked the Mall picking up a few items and I was also looking for an Apple store as my iPad2 can not send msg. I checked with the Vodafone store and to my surprise, there is only 2 Apple stores in ZA. One is in Capetown and the other is in Johannesburg. Can you believe, 53 million people and only 2 Apple stores. I was told this is Blackberry Country.
This mall also has a Casino, so Carroll had to check it out as usual and make a small donation. I think she only lost 2 dollars. Then we stopped for a late lunch in the Mall and decide to check out the only camp site in the small town of Gonube and possibly hit their gorgerous beach.
Oh, I should mention getting out of the parking area wasn't too bad. As we walked to the MH I noticed that the chain that was on the ground when we entered was now, up and locked. So I'm thinking this is where I start kissing Butt to get out; I even checked to make sure I had some change if I had to buy my way out. Then I seen a guy looking at me as we walked to the MH, so I walked over and said , can you let me out and he did. Problem solved.
Now, to find the camp site. Carroll punched the co-ordinates into the GPS and off we go to Gonube and we had to wind our way thru the town and down towards the water to the camp site. I check thru security who direct me to reception; she in turn say, go grab a site and return and pay for it. That was easy.... until I got into the camp site. The people we seen and their campers or reasonable facimally may have been of a slightly less quality than the Eslers are use too. Any nobody was " White" which did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Carroll says. I don't even want to see the bathroom, just get me out here. Nuff said.
So we return to Areena camp ground, which was the one we spent last night in. I think they were surprised to see us back .
Tomorrow we head for Port Elizabeth which is on the Indian Ocean and the camp site at P.E.was recommended by our Host, so we know it will be a nice one.

No comments:

Post a Comment