Thursday, 3 February 2011

1 , 2 & 3 Feb .....Freezing in TX

Tuesday: I had a ball game on Tuesday morning and the main topic on was that we were going to recieve some real bad weather for the next 3 days. The ball game was terrible as we got slaugther by a real good team but after the game the coach announced that Thursday's game would be cancelled due to pending bad weather. I thought " give me break ", the weather was great for playing ball, how could it change so fast. Anyhow, the prediction was, that it would be cold on Tuesday evening couple with winds up to 60 MPH. Wed would be around 32 F ( 0 C ) and Thursday would have sleet, rain and possibly snow.
Boy, do they have Accu weather in this area. By Tues evening the temp dropped to about 10 C, then during the night it was even lower to 0 C . I still did not believe it would be that cold so I never bother to turn the furnance on during the night as we like it cool. At 4 AM, I awoke and it was cold. The temp in the house was 12 C so I quickly turned furnance just to thaw out.
So, Wed morning it was 0 C all day with high winds.

Wedesday: We traveled to South Padre Island on Wed to take in the Snowbirds Extravagansa which is a free Music/Comedy Show to attract us so they could show us Cdn Snowbirds what they can do for us such as health insurance , travel plans and sell memberships. Two of the acts were Ronnie Profit and Ostranack ( an accordian player) whose days have pass then both by. They were terrible. The other 4 acts were great. The show was over at 4 PM so we decided to have supper at a Seafood restaurant called Daddy's which we had visited before. Carrol and I, each had a Seafood plater of Fish and Shrimp and I had a beer , all for the price of 23.50. You sure get a lot of food at an excellent price in the USA.

Thursday: We awoke Thurs to find the same 0 C temp complete with the continous high winds. By noon , there was an announcement at our Community Hall that the Freeway in Harligen, 15 miles east was closed due to sleet and Freezing rain i the area and it was heading our way. This seems odd to us but these people do not have these condition often so they do not know how to drive accordingly and they do not have equipt to handle sleet , freezing rain or snow on the roads. By 3 PM the freezing rain arrived and has continued on into the evening along with the winds. We have , as do most occupants , a 30 foot Palm tree outside our home. The freezing rain is making the leaves/branches brittle and the wind is causing the leaves ( these are not a maple leaf ) to break off and the leaves are continuously bouncing off our roofs. I suspect we will spent a restless night , as the leaves will keep breaking off all night and keeping us awake. This weather is suppose to last until Sat so tomorrow will like be the same as today. Cheers until next time. T and C

No comments:

Post a Comment