4 Feb: Who ever thought that cold weather would be the topic of the winter in southern USA. But it "Is What it Is" so we will just put up with it. As mentioned , Thurs night the icy covered Palm leaves bounced off our roof all night. On Friday the temp was still at 0 C and the Freeway was too icy to travel on so Carroll's 9;30 Chriopractor appt was delayed ubtil 3 PM. The Sun came out and brought the temp up to a balmy 7 C which was suffuicent to melt all the ice.
Since we were already downtown in McAllen ( prononced Mac Allen) we, mostly Carroll, needed to pay a visit to Sam's Club to pick up a few items. Just in case you are interested a few items are available at Sam's for $104.00. I'm glad we were not "out of anything" or the bill would be twice as much.
The price of Gas is as high as 3.09 and diesel is 3.29. However, i have a deal with Sam's. I pay Sam's a fee of 40.00 per year and (he) sells me gas a little cheaper; like 2.85 per gal. Mr. Wal-Mart, of course, also sells gas for the same price.
5 Feb: The day started out very cold again as the temp was 0C at 7 AM but as the day progressed the Sun help to bring the temp up the mid 60's F. However this was another sports day as the Jr. ladies curling was on in the early afternoon and then 3 hockey Games, starting in the afternoon so that is how we wasted Saturday.
6 Feb: Super Bowl Sunday: The Americans are like the RoughRider Fans as they fly the pennant and cheers vehmently for their team. We did have a Super Bowl party , complete with a Big Screen TV set up in our commmunity centre but it was too noisy for me. We joined our neighbour who had a TV setup outside his Motorhome. The temp reached 85 F in the Sun but slightly less if you where in the shade. He is a Packer fan but he did not seem to mind that I was pulling for the Steelers mainly because they have a Cdn kicker. Todd ( our son for those who do not know him ) was at the supper Bowl so I called his Cell at 1/2 time to see how he was enjoying the festivities but he was not in the answering mood as I never did hear from him until he got home on Monday.
7 Feb: On Monday Carroll had another chiropractor appt at 9:30 so that got rid of the Morning. In the afternoon we dropped in on a neighbours , Bea and Roy Jewsbury from Dalphin , MB , for Happy Hour. Bea's brother and wife where there and they are farmers from Carberry, which is near Shilo, MB. And of course both Carroll and I both worked with people from Carberry , while we were in shilo so this couple brought us up to speed on old friends. While in Shilo I coached 3 Kids from Carberry in hockey ( 1980 ) and this couple know these kids quite well. I'm always curious to know , how the kids I coached , made out in life and since they know these kids and their families personnel it was nice to get an update on them.
One of the boys was a "brain " in school so I thought he would do good in life and as it turns out he is now a Millionaire in business. I guessed that the other two would probably have a trade. I over estimated them as one is a Truck driver and the other is the maintenance man at the local golf course.
8 Feb: Well; the weather was good enough to play ball with temp around 18 C , however the wind was around 30 MPH which is what happens in TX when we get sunny weather. We won the ball game which is a major accomplishment because out team definitely lacks talent. However I hit 2 home run which is a shock to me and anyone who has played ballwith or against me. I never hit the ball very far, mostly singles. But the fences are 300 feet and I hit in the Gap between the fielders so the ball rolled to the fence so it wasn't hard to score. After the game the opposition checked the bat that I used and it does not have an ASA stamp so they want the bat removed for any further game. I guess the commisioner will have to rule on it. I found it amusing that they would check the bat I used as there must be 20 or more guys who can crank the ball near the 300 foot fence yet nobody checks their bat. I guess it is all in the name of " Fun ".
After the game today we were advised that Thursdays game is being cancelled because the predicted temp will be 42 F or about 7 C. Go figure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment