Saturday, 23 March 2019

MX/ TX Trip #84 Happenings 11 to 16 March 19

The week started with a nice breezy ( actually windy)  day with a high of 85 F (30 C ) which is considered a gift from the "heavens " especially with all the rain and cool weather  we have received during Feb and Mar. It seems somewhat funny that we "Winter Texan's" complain about the weather when we don't want to return  home because the weather is much worse there. You can never satisfy a Senior.

Since Tuesday was also warm but windy we, along with our friends from Brandon decided to go to MX for the last visit of the year. The ladies had a pedicure while Larry got his golf shoes polished and I found a barber who did a decent hair cut for 5.00. Then the ladies had to do some "last minute " shopping  ( as if they needed  more MX stuff ). Carroll bought another purse for a reason I don't understand because she seldom  carries a purse and we don't have any money left to put in it after spending 4 month travelling around Mexico and the USA. 

Last week I heard a "Click " every time I moved the car forward or in reverse and as a long retired mechanic I recognized this noise as a bad U-Joint and I knew it had to be replaced. I ask a friend, who has been coming here for 20 years, if he could recommend a mechanic or a garage. He advised me to take it to Martinez in a local town some 5 miles away as he is a good mechanic and his prices are reasonable. I took it to Martinez the next day but he was busy and ask me to bring it at 8 AM the next day. Then he said let's do a road test and you drive and show me the problem. I backed up and he heard the "Click". Then he said put it in  Drive and another "Click". He said yep, it's a U-Joint.  Bring it in tomorrow. Martinez replaced both the  from and rear U-joint and then did a complete diagnosing check because my Engine light was on. The Engine light has been on for 3 years so I didn't consider it an emergency but he said he would do it anyway.   The cost of the parts, labour and diagnostic report cost 128.00.   

I knew that Martinez  was a retired Marine so I ask him how he became a Mechanic. He said his  Dad immigrated to the US before he was born and started to repair cars under a tree in his back yard. After a year he built a shed to work under cover. As a young boy he was interested in helping his Dad and learned to be a mechanic. Then during the Vietnam War he joined the Marines. After his first 5 years was up, he joined for another 5 years so he could get his  " re-up " pay which he gave to his Dad to build  the 5 bay garage that he runs today. He would like to retire but if he did he said his 3 helpers wouldn't have a job so he keeps the garage open for them. I would guess that his helpers are not licensed. 

Saturday was the start of the Women's World Curling which gave us something to watch on TV because it started to rain in the early morning hours and continued for 3 hours. Then the wind came up and the temp dropped to 11C. In TX with a north wind and rain that is a recipe for dam cool. Since our friends from Brandon are going home on Sunday  we went out for supper and said our goodbyes. Cheers






No comments:

Post a Comment