Sunday
We are going to head north tomorrow so today we will start packing so we can leave early. Whenever you start packing people walking by always ask if you are leaving. I sometimes feel like saying ; No I'm just practicing packing, however they mean well and if nothing else we usually stand around and swap stories.
Monday
Our target for today is to reach Kanab, Ut which is about 450 KM so we should be there by mid afternoon. Our camp site at Camp Verde is close to Sea Level and we are heading to Flagstaff which is about 8000 ft so the first 18 miles is all uphill. Most trucks can barely climb the hill faster than 35 MPH and I can barely climb it at 45 MPH in 4 th gear. Luckily there is 3 lanes so us slow pokes do not hinder the other traffic.
After we reached Flagstaff we had to find the highway that would take us north to Page, Ut where we would turn west to Kanab. We went thru several small towns but it boggles my mind why these towns exist as there doesn't seem to be any reason for there existence or for any employment opportunities.
We stopped in page for lunch and then carried on to Kanab, UT arriving about 3 PM. Unfortunately we did not scrutinizes the map closely enough as we did not see the road that would have taken us thru the scenic route. Some folks we met in Kanab told us it was well worth the trip along the Scenic route.
We decided to stay in Kanab for two days just to look around the area. We had supper at one of the " Cowboy" restaurant and I ask the waitress about the existence of Kanab and apparently the was a Native settlement here in the 1800's and then later this town was settled by the Mormons. I did not ask but I'm sure this is still mainly Mormon town. Tourism is the main function of Kanab.
Carroll went to the office to get some information on the area and the camp owner said that it was going to snow during the night. I did not think it was cool enough to snow but the next morning there was about an 1 1/2 of snow . The snow was very wet , so much so that it covered our satellite dish and blocked the signal. cheers
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment