Monday, 20 February 2012

1 Feb to 14 Feb Yuma, AZ

This Blog will cover the 2 weeks we spent in Yuma, AZ. A place we have been to many times, usually to visit friends as we would find it boring if it were not for the many friends that are here. We parked at the Bonita, Mesa Resort (the word resort is overused but mainly so they can charge more ) because 3 of our friends are there: Ziglos from Yorkton, SK: Malach, a Lake in SK that I can't spell and Mathisons from BC. Friends in other Yuma parks are Moe and Gail Bakens from Childs lake, MB; Ken and Carol Jangula from Med Hat, who I play ball with and a long lost friend, Jim and Marion Mclelland, from Belmont. I don't think I have seen Jimmy for about 40 years and it was very enjoyable to see him and Marion again. It made be remmeber how long ago I left home to join the RCAF.
Well, what else did we do in Yuma; First we had to visit the Dentist in Mexico as I broke a tooth while South Africa but it was not hurting so i could wait until I got to MX. The tooth was beyond a Filling or Crown so I had to have a Root Canal followed by a Crown which took 3 appointments and cost 490.00. MX is only 8 miles from Yuma.
There are three large Flea markets in Yuma so we spent an afternoon checking out each markets place and purchased a few things that I could probably " live without " but considered a necessity. We also attended a few parties with our friends and even attended the 100 th anniversay party for Arizona in downtown Yuma.

Yuma has very fertile soil so they grow a lot of vegetables in this area but as you would probably guess the vegetables are picked/packed by Mexico farm workers. The farmers actually have a bus that goes to St. Luis , MX, about 20 miles away to pick up the workers each day.
They also had an RCAF reunion scheduled in yuma while I was there but I forgot to get a ticket so I am somewhat disappointed that I let it slip away. It would have been nice to swap lies with some old comrades.
For Valentines Day supper , we went for Chinese Food and had to wait about 15 or 20 mins for a table. I had to snicker because I don't remmeber every waiting for a table at a Chinese restarunt. On the 15 th feb we left yuma and headed for Apache Junction.

No comments:

Post a Comment