Saturday, 12 March 2011

The last of Feb

I have been tardy with my Blog for reasons I can not justify except to say, I have been lazy. So therfore , I will try to bring the readers up to date on our happenings since 22 Feb.
On the 23 th we attended a performance at the local High School , by the US Airforce Band. The performance was great but I was surprized to hear that these 30 members of the band are professionals and do not have any other duties in the Air Force except to travel around to other play for other Military Pers. They also play at High Schools when they have an open date.
Several of the Band members perform a Solo or a Duet. Two of the female members did a Duet on the Flute. The Band Leader does an introduction which includes their Bio and where they attended school etc etc. One of the Flute players was introduced as having graduated for a university with a BA in music and they continued to get a Masters Degree in ( wait for it ) FLUTE.This made me laugh.... as I was trying to imagine if one of my boys graduated with a degree and then advised me they wanted a Masters Degree in Flute. I would have march them to a Phyciatist (sp ).
As I mentioned this Performance was held at the local High School. The H. S. is in a town/city of 5000 Pop. but the auditorium is large enough to seat 1000 pers. It also has a football stadium that would equal to our professional Football stadium. The Americans sure do spend money on their schools.

Then on Saturday the 26 Feb we attended another High School perfomance called "Folkloric" at the La Joya High School. I'm sure you can detect the Hispanic influence. This performance was put on by the students , mainly of Hispanic decent , and it was a great performance and it lasted 2 1/2 hours. This H. S. was built in 2008 and the auditorium also seats 1000 and has a balcony. This school structure is amazing and if fact looks more like a University than a High school. I can't get over the amount of money spend on the construction of these High Schools.

Carroll's sister Jean and Husband have been here for the passed two weeks and they left on Monday 28 th Feb. They weather was mostly warm during their stay but as per normal there was many windy days and nothing has changed since. The local weather report considers a wind, blowing up to 30 MPH as a breeze. After that it's windy.

The 1 st week of March was a causal week as most Americans start to get ready to head north. Therefore we have the ocassional Happy Hour, which usually turn out to be Street Parties, to say farewell until next year.

Also, our 8 Team Ball leaque is wound up with a one day tournament and then a Banquet, which was hosted by our Team this year, was held to put the finishing touches to the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment