Sunday, 1 April 2012

31 March Touring Cottonwood and Jerome

Temp 4C @7AM
This morning I tried to analyis why my truck overheated on the mountains but return to normal once we reached the apex. My mechanical thinking said to check the water level in the radiator reservoir. Low and behold it was empty but since I have never seen any water under truck I figure it was down a pint or so. I was shocked when it took a gallon before it was full to the Min level. I ran the engine for about 5 min and everything seem normal so we decided to tour the town of Old Cottonwood. Cottonwood has an old town which has the 100 year old facade while the new town is contemporary and has the latest stores like Wal-mart and Home Depot. After walking around the Old Town for a couple of hours we return to the truck and noticed a pool of water on the ground under the truck. After inspecting the problem area it seemed like the leak was from the hose attached to the bottom of the resovoir. The leak was a very slow drip but this was because the pressure had dropped in the reservoir. Since there was some water in the reservior I determined it was not urgent so we venture to another small mining town some 12 miles away.
The town is called Jerome and it is located about 4500 ft high in the mountains. It was the first copper mine in Az, founded in the late 1800's. Of course the mine is now a Museum/ Tourist trap but the town attracts thousands of visitors every year. There was so many tourists , we could not find a parking space even thought we circled the town twice. It is the tourisum that keeps this town alive but good for them. On the way out of town we stopped to snap a picture of the Copper Mountain and Carroll said Hi to this gentleman taking some pics. During the conversation he said he was from Woodstock and went to school with Carroll's brother Lyle. Small world: Eh.
We returned home in the late afternoon so I could do a further check on the water leak on the Truck . Besides we had a reservation for a Cowboy Dinner and Music at 6:30 with cocktails ( actually a beer ) from 5:30 to 6:00.
Back to the truck; upon further inspection i found that the reservior had a 2 inch crack right on the botton and it was dripping on the hose which i thought was leaking. So I used the oldest but best repair method known to man. SEALS-ALL. I carry two tubes in my tool box because it will seal every crack except the "Crack of your Ass and the Crack of Dawn ", so it sealed the leak as I knew it would. After fixing the leak we proceed to the Cowboy Dinner at the " Blazing M Ranch". The dinner was served cowboy style, ( buffett style ) but it included ribs, chicken, beans, baked potatoes, cole slaw and also second helping were served followed by desert, which i did not need as my pants are getting tighter by the day. The music was ; lets just say "cowboy". I'm not really in to Yod ooly ( however you spell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment