Thursday, 30 September 2010

Med Hat to the world Senior Games

About 30 Senior ball players from Med hat are heading for St. Geo, UT to play in the world Senior Games. Med Hat is entering two teams this year, 60 to 64 and 65 to 69, which is the age bracket for me. We did not have enough 70 + this year so many of the 70,s are playing for other teams throught the province such as St. Albert, Stettler, Calgary and a few are on an american team.
This has been an Annual event for 25 years and has grown to a total of approximately 10,000 participants over the 2 week period. I use the word participants because you can hardly call Crib and Wisk a sport. The majority of the participates are ball players since there are 350 to 400 teams over the 2 week period.
They have about 24 ball diamond in St Geo and they are the best I have ever played on.
We actually have a warm up tournament in Mesquite , NV on this Friday and Saturday and then move to St. Geo on Sunday to start play Monday.
Many of the ball player from Med Hat leave a week early to golf on the way down. The weather in southern Ut, ( below Salt lake city) is warm so golfing is still on. Incidentally the temp in St. Geo yesterday was around 100F, I think that is about 36C. Thankfully it is cooling off on Monday to 85 F.
Carroll and I , along with several others left on Wed and we will be in Mesquite, NV by 4;30 or 5 PM Thursday. IT is sort of a calvacade of Alberta cars on I-15 as there are many teams from Edm, Calgary, St. Albert, etc heading down. Unforetunately we end up playing teams from Albert due to the luck of the draw and in fact we play Edm on tues morning. We have already played them in 6 tournaments this year.
The trip down is very boring , mostly since we have driven I-15 many time while heading south each winter. It is 3 hours to the border from Med Hat, then I pick up my 2 bottles of Crown Royal at the duty free, Cross the border,and head south. There was nobody ahead of me today which is nice. After that it is 8 more hours of 120 Km/h until we reach Idaho. The speed limit in MT and ID is 75 MPH so 80 is the norm.
I picked up a case of beer ( MGD ) yesterday, 30 cans for $20.00. That would cost me $50.00 in Med hat.
It is now 6 AM on thurs so we will have breakfast and hit the road. Apparently the beer in Mesquite is held on ice until we get there. cheers t and C

No comments:

Post a Comment